Frequently Asked Questions
Latitude Food Allergy Care is a specialty clinic solely focused on food allergy. We are committed to changing the lives of families living with food allergies by creating access to exceptional care from diagnosis to lifesaving treatments to long-term support.
At Latitude, we offer personalized and comprehensive care for food allergic patients and their families including:
- Early food introduction for infants (based on LEAP trial)
- Accurate Diagnosis using the following:
- patient food allergy history
- skin testing
- blood testing
- food challenges (only to be done if a false positive is suspected).
- Oral Immunotherapy (OIT), if appropriate, to desensitize patients to the foods they are allergic to using evidence-based protocols proven at Stanford University, UCSF, Baylor and other research institutions. We will incorporate future treatment methods as they are proven.
- On-going Care to support families who may not yet be interested in treatment but desire food-allergy-focused care to help them manage and understand the status of their allergies — allowing them to stay informed of current research and treatment options.
- Long-term Care for patients who have received treatment in clinical trials.
At Latitude, we are 100% focused on food allergy.
- Clinical Team — trained in food allergy treatment & care, providing 24/7 access to patients.
- Patient Care Coordinators (PCC) — parents with personal experience with food allergies and OIT, to support patients and their families.
- Food Challenge Availability — Our clinical model enables us to offer quick access to food challenges, appointments that may take up to 9 months to schedule in traditional clinics due to resource limitations.
- Clinical Space offers unique communal space that allows for a more comfortable experience and provides the opportunity to connect with families and build life-changing relationships.
- Food Allergy Treatment — we currently offer Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) for single and multiple foods, with and without the use of Xolair (omalizumab). We offer treatment for all allergic levels including the most severe.
- Patients with asthma and environmental allergies will continue their care with their current allergist.
- You or your child has been diagnosed with food allergies.
- You or your physician suspects that you (or your child) has a food allergy and require an accurate diagnosis.
- You or your physician suspect you (or your child) may have a misdiagnosed food allergy and are avoiding potentially safe foods, resulting in a negative impact on your quality of life.
- Your infant has eczema and you need to determine if it is related to food allergy.
- Your infant is at higher risk of developing a food allergy, and you are seeking early food introduction in the interest of prevention.
Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) — a process that regularly exposes the patient to increasing amounts of the foods they are allergic to, with the goal of desensitizing the body and increasing safety.
OIT is not a cure. It is a desensitization. In order to maintain desensitization, you will continue to eat the foods you have been desensitized to on a regular basis.
It is possible to have an allergic reaction while going through OIT. The goal is to have you progress through your treatment at a very slow and safe pace to reduce the risk of reaction.
Yes, we can treat all of the foods that you are allergic to at the same time.
We can treat any clinically diagnosed (IgE-mediated) food allergy.
You will have a full medical examination and review by our medical team, led by a board certified Allergist and Immunologist, who will determine if OIT could be helpful for you.
Yes, you can safely go through OIT even if you have had severe allergic reactions in the past. Safety is our number one priority.
Xolair (omalizumab) is an anti IgE medication that works by inhibiting the allergic reaction process. Yes, we offer Xolair in conjunction with OIT to increase safety.
Yes, while focused on food allergy, our clinicians take extra steps with each visit to our office to ensure that asthma and other allergic conditions are well-controlled. We encourage direct communication between our clinicians and your allergist to ensure these other conditions are monitored.
Our clinicians will carefully review your food allergy care options with you to determine the best customized plan for you and your family.
Please inquire to learn more about our in-network coverage with all major insurance plans.
Our first clinic is open in Redwood City, CA, in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have plans to expand nationally. As we grow, we welcome families from outside of the area and will personalize the care plan to accommodate the logistics of travel.
We welcome your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our contact form.